- About NCSS
- Conferences & Professional Learning
- NCSS Annual Conference
- Webinars and Workshops
- Powerful & Authentic Social Studies
- State and Local Conferences
- Get Involved
- Rho Kappa
Selecting Student Members
Chapter Faculty Selection Committee
Each chapter will have a Faculty Selection Committee that is responsible for selecting new members, and removing members if/when warrented. The Faculty Selection Committee shall consist of the chapter faculty sponsor and other faculty members within the school. The selection committee will assemble at the school the chapter resides.
Enrolling New Members
Membership in RHO KAPPA is an honor bestowed upon a student by a local chapter for their accomplishments in the field of social studies and overall academic achievement. Each local chapter assembles a faculty selection committee in the school the chapter resides to confer the memberships. The committee includes the chapter faculty sponsor and other faculty from the chapter school.
Each candidate for membership shall be selected to a designated chapter of Rho Kappa based on the following criteria:
- have been in attendance at the school in which the chapter resides for the equivalent of one semester prior to being considered (If a special or unique circumstances merit, the high school administration may waive the semester requirement, providing a letter of explanation to the National Advisory Council).
- have completed four semesters of courses in the field of social studies and be prepared to complete at least six semesters. The minimum grade point average for these courses is an unweighted 3.00 or the numerical equivalent.
- have an overall cumulative GPA of at least 3.00 or the numerical equivalent (Individual chapters may choose to increase the GPA requirements for their chapter but may not decrease them).
Candidates achieving the minimal GPA requirements may be invited to apply for membership into Rho Kappa. The application process will require candidates to show participation in activities the demonstrate civic engagement in school or community and their desire and aspiration to be a member of the organization. Applicants must have a letter of recommendation from a current faculty member.
Selection of eligible students and their election to the organization shall be determined by the faculty sponsor, faculty selection committee, and the high school administration. Candidates must meet the GPA, social studies course completion requirements and the application requirements listed above. All other methods of selecting candidates is left up to the individual chapters. A description of the selection procedures and the local chapter criteria should be widely available in a timely fashion to all the school's administration, faculty, students, parents, and community members. The National RHO KAPPA Advisory Council will not review the judgement of the faculty selection committee regarding the selection of individual members to the local chapters.
Induction of New Members
Each local chapter may design and execute an appropriate ceremony for the induction of its new members. The procedures and proceedings for this ceremony shall be determined by the local chapter, the chapter sponsor, and the high school administration. Newly inducted members shall receive their membership certificates and any other appropriate Rho Kappa materials when their membership has been affirmed. In an event that a particular individual qualifies for membership after the date of the induction ceremony, he or she may be induced at a regular chapter meeting provided the membership forms and fees have already been submitted to NCSS.
Chapters may use the following membership form: