- About NCSS
- Conferences & Professional Learning
- Get Involved
- Rho Kappa
Finding Support to Attend
The NCSS Annual Conference provides the most comprehensive professional development available, an investment in your career well worth the time and expense, but we know that school money is very tight. NCSS strives to make our professional development opportunities not only the best and most comprehensive, but also the most cost effective. We have suggestions on where to look for financial support to attend, and ways to save:
- Check with your principal or department chair to see if there is any professional development money available. You may be pleasantly surprised. Attending a national conference with all of its sessions, workshops, and many other opportunities for education often qualifies as professional development training.
- Use literacy and Common Core in your request to attend. The NCSS Annual Conference features many sessions designed to help districts, schools, and teachers integrate Common Core Standards into student instruction, including presentations on using social studies content to teach literacy.
- If professional development funds are not available, ask about Title I funds. These are often more available and you can usually write the application to fit social studies.
- Take advantage of the $250 educator expense deduction on your federal taxes to help cover out-of-pocket professional development costs. If you're an NCSS member, that deduction will cover almost all of the registration fee.
- Join an NCSS committee. Districts will often see participation in association governance as a positive.
- Volunteer to work at the conference. You can exchange hours work for attendance, and discounted registration rates are available to volunteers.
- Ask your PTA, religious institution, or fraternal organization of which you may be a member to help defray the cost of your attendance.
- Talk to the Kiwanis or Rotary Clubs.
Ways to Save
- Check for Membership. Before you register check to see if you are an Individual Member or if your school has an institutional membership. Every type of NCSS member--Regular, Comprehensive, Student, Retired--can register at the discounted member rate.
- Become an NCSS Member. Membership rates start at just $72 for a full year, and the benefits extend well past the conference. Ask your school to take an institutional membership so three teachers can take advantage of the NCSS membership, all for as little as $125 annually.
- Take Advantage of Travel Discounts. We've negotiated exclusive discounted rates at several area hotels. We also have discounts on air and rail travel. Click here for details.
- Register for a Day. One-day registration rates are available, if you are unable to leave the class for a day or more, so come for one day of premium and intense learning.
- Encourage two or three friends to come and share expenses.